Sunscreen is the most essential part of your skin-care routine, but chances are you knew that already. With that being said, some of us come across a few issues when using a classic sunscreen lotion — white casts, greasy residue, and nauseating scents (which can irritate sensitive skin types) are just the start. That’s why we swipe on one of the best sunscreen sticks when we’re in need of UV-ray protection.
Fatima Fahs, MD, a board-certified dermatologist based in Camden, Michigan, says broad-spectrum solid stick formulas perform just as well as lotions. Like any sunscreen, you have to apply the right amount of formula in order to have and maintain broad-spectrum protection. “The more the merrier in general, but I tell patients to apply for four passes back and forth on each area of application to make sure you get a good amount on,” says Dr. Fahs. “Rub it in a bit after applying to help ensure you don’t have skip areas.” She also recommends applying your sunscreen stick on dry skin so the formula “stays put.”
Overall, Dr. Fahs says sunscreen sticks can be a great replacement for lotions if they are applied correctly. Below, check out the 11 best broad-spectrum SPF sunscreen face sticks you can buy.
Our Top Picks:
- Best Overall: EltaMD UV Stick SPF 50+, $35
- Totally Transparent: Live Tinted Hueguard Invisible Sunscreen Stick SPF 50, $28
- Allure Best of Beauty Winner: Shiseido Clear Sunscreen Stick SPF 50+, $30
- Dew-Enhancer: Supergoop Glow Stick SPF 50, $26
- Best Roll-On Formula: Sun Bum Original SPF 50 Sunscreen Roll-On Lotion, $18
- Smells Amazing: Coola Classic Sunscreen Stick SPF 30, $24
- Skin Soother: Kinlò Sunscreen Stick SPF 30, $12
All products featured on Allure are independently selected by our editors. However, when you buy something through our retail links, we may earn an affiliate commission.