Perfumes and toilettes will always be appreciated, but here at Allure, our current fragrances of choice are actually some of the best perfume oils you can find. Though the only difference you may notice is that perfume oils are usually in rollerball form instead of spray bottles, these fragrant elixirs are actually quite different than the traditional perfume formulas you may be used to.
According to Givaudan perfumer Christine Hassan, conventional eau de parfums are hydro-alcoholic, which means they’re based on a ratio blend of alcohol and water. “This allows for your fragrance to have a greater diffusion in the air,” she explains. On the other hand, Hassan notes that perfume oils substitute these two ingredients for oils that you may have spotted in your skin-care products, like sweet almond or argan oil. These oil-based formulas not only make your skin feel super soft and nourished, but they’re also longer-lasting than other fragrance formulations. Baby-smooth skin that smells great all day? We’ll sign up for that.
So, what exactly makes these oils smell so good? Hassan says that they feature the same notes that you’d find in other fragrance formulas, just at slightly different ratios. “A fragrance oil may have more base notes and less top notes than an eau de parfum,” she says. “This makes fragrance oils less diffusive and smell more powerful.”
There’s a rich variety of perfume oils on the market to peruse but we’re here to help you widdle down your options and find your new signature scent. Below, check out the best perfume oils that deserve a spot in your fragrance collection.
Our Top Picks:
- Best Overall: Chanel Coco Mademoiselle The Body Oil, $85
- Our Fall Favorite: Phlur Somebody Wood Perfume Oil, $45
- Vanilla Lovers: Nest New York Madagascar Vanilla Perfume Oil Rollerball, $35
- Best Splurge: Gucci The Alchemist’s Garden Ode On Melancholy Perfume Oil, $475
- Prettiest Packaging: Dior J’adore Huile Divine, $75
- Best Body Oil: Ellis Brooklyn Sun Fruit Glistening Golden Body Oil, $70
- A Classic: Maison Francis Kurkdjian Baccarat Rouge 540 Scented Body Oil, $105
All products featured on Allure are independently selected by our editors. However, when you buy something through our retail links, we may earn an affiliate commission.