Finding the best dry shampoo can be a daunting task, given how many formulas are available out there. There’s probably one for each and every specific hair-care need or quirk you’ve got. Do you buy a dry shampoo to match your hair color? Do you want to go extra on the volume or do you just need something to refresh your scalp from product buildup?
Let’s not be fooled, though. New York City-based hairstylist Devin Toth says that dry shampoos don’t actually clean your hair, but rather mask buildup. “However, if used correctly, they can prolong the freshness of your hairstyle by reversing or minimizing the side effects of grease,” he says. Toth also adds that a dry shampoo creates a matte, airy texture at the roots of your hair, which really supports a bouncy hairstyle full of life and movement.
While every dry shampoo will take care of dirty, oily hair and let you go a day (or two) longer without washing your hair, some are formulated with styling ingredients that add volume, thickness, and texture. Knowing that, let’s get into the best dry shampoos.
Our Top Picks:
- Best Overall: Living Proof Perfect Hair Day (PhD) Dry Shampoo,
- Best Hydrating Mist: R+Co Spiritualized Dry Shampoo Mist,
- Best for Oily Scalps: Klorane Dry Shampoo with Nettle,
- Best Under-$10: Not Your Mother’s Clean Freak Original Dry Shampoo, $7
- Best for Nighttime: Amika Perk Up Dry Shampoo, $28
- Best for Protective Styles: Taliah Waajid Protective Styles Dry Gel Shampoo, $8
- Best Powder: Verb Dry Shampoo Powder, $20
All products featured on Allure are independently selected by our editors. However, when you buy something through our retail links, we may earn an affiliate commission.